The FiFo Institute for Public Economics at the University of Cologne unites high-class economic research and applied fiscal policy. Our aim is to enable better policy making. We believe that for this purpose, research and consulting ought to go hand in hand. Given this principle of policy-oriented research and scientific policy consulting, we focus on the following areas of empirical public economics:
- Quality of fiscal policy and fiscal sustainability,
- Direct and indirect taxation,
- Fiscal equalization systems from a local, national, and international perspective,
- Local government finances and taxes,
- Reform and transparency of public budgets,
- Theory and evaluation of public expenditure programs, subsidies, and tax reliefs,
- Theory and instruments concerning national and international environmental policy and energy policy,
- Sustainable regional development.
The clients and principals of the research and consulting services of the FiFo Institute are scientific foundations and organisations, national and regional administrations in Germany and abroad, municipalities, international organisations, associations, private firms and – occasionally – political parties.
Although de jure it is not a part of the University of Cologne the FiFo Institute and the University are aligned in a relationship of institutionalised cooperation and mutual support. For example the holders of the chairs for Public Finance at the University of Cologne are at the same time Directors of the FiFo Institute.
An up-to-date presentation with a brief but informative profile of the FiFo is provided here.